07 Nov Kalena McElroy
Kalena McElroy is a content marketer and travel blogger born & raised in Hawaii and currently based out of Los Angeles, California.
She has also lived in Barcelona, Spain where she began writing about her experiences as an expat living abroad. Kalena is the owner of travel and culture blog, Lost And Abroad. The website focuses on the importance of exploring the cultural and historical aspects of destinations such as the local art, traditions, food, and cultural differences that make each place unique.
Her passion for traveling is only rivaled by her love for nature and the outdoors. Kalena is an avid hiker, having walked the Camino de Santiago, Tour du Mont Blanc, and many other treks across the globe. She hopes her blog inspires people to step outside of their comfort zones and experience the way other cultures live and think, which are often different from our own.
Check out some of her favorite recommended products to use during her travels around the world:
1. Hydro Flask Water Bottle: I don’t go anywhere without a water bottle and I’ve been using Hydro Flask for years. Since it keeps drinks ice-cold for hours, it’s perfect for the beach, plane, or hike because let’s be honest, room temperature water on a hot day just doesn’t cut it.
2. Osprey Tempest 40L Women’s Backpack: I spent months searching for the perfect backpack for my Camino de Santiago trek across Spain because I would be walking with all my possessions for six to eight hours a day. Though some reviewers mentioned that the waist straps were too short, this pack fit me perfectly and I still use it very frequently. It has held up well in a variety of climates from thru-hikes across the Swiss Alps and Banff National Park to day trips in Southern California deserts.
3. Rite in the Rain Spiral Notebook: These ultra-durable, all-weather notebooks may typically be used for fieldwork, but you never know when you’ll feel like journaling or be hit by a great idea. I carry Rite in the Rain notebooks whenever I know I’ll write an article so I can jot down details about my experience that I don’t want to forget. They’ve been with me all over the world and withstood the rain, mud, and saltwater.
4. Zinka 50 SPF Face Stick: If I ever get asked to do a ‘10 things I can’t live without’ video, this little face stick will be high on my list. It’s the perfect size to throw into my backpack or purse and actually last pretty long for how small it is.
5. Kindle Paperwhite: I used to be pro paperback but the convenience, long battery life, and durability (it’s waterproof) of the Kindle Paperwhite changed my opinion. I do still love a traditional book though, just not for traveling. The e-reader is an absolute must-have for any bookworm who is frequently on the go. Instead of overpaying at the airport newsstand, sign up at your public library. Most libraries have an e-book database with thousands of bestsellers you can rent out during your trip for free.
“Aloha kekahi i kekahi.”
This well-known Hawaiian proverb simply means to love one another. I think every single one of us could be a little more kind and caring towards others.
Connect With Kalena!